Coramba Hotel, nestled just 12 km inland from Coffs Harbour in Coffs Coast’s western hinterland of the Orara Valley, is where you will find a charming family oriented country pub. Run by Brett and Sandy, who recently moved to the area, the pair’s love and passion is evident, as they believe in good old fashioned, friendly, country style hospitality and service.
When did you first take over the Coramba Hotel, and what attracted you to the area?
We bought the leasehold and took over the pub operations on the 13th December 2017.
I (Sandy) have always had an extremely strong connection to the Coffs Harbour area and personally fell in love with it, as my family had regular holidays in the area all throughout my childhood and teenage years, and in particular Nambucca.
It has been both a long term dream and personal goal for both of us for the past seven years to buy and personally run our own pub, with my only stipulation when Brett was searching pubs that they must be around the Coffs Harbour area and not too far from the ocean.
We looked at quite a number of pubs, but we both fell in love with Coramba Pub the moment that we saw it and the pretty little historic village of Coramba. It is the best of both worlds, situated in the beautiful Orara Valley hinterland and only 10 minutes’ drive back to the beautiful beaches of Coffs Harbour and surrounding towns.
What changes have you implemented?
A multitude of changes:
1. Tuesday nights were very quiet, with only a few customers coming in. We commenced very successful Tuesday Trivia Nights and can now get anywhere up to 90 regulars who pre-book each Tuesday. It is a great night, full of fun and lots of camaraderie.
2. Foxtel Sports.
3. Having regular entertainment that mixes it up to break any monotony and bands every Sunday, with occasional DJ/karaoke theme nights.
4. Taken over management of the pub’s Broadaxe Bistro – with an awesome new Head Chef and new menu, with a greater variety to cater for everyone – seniors plus senior discounts, greater choices for vegetarians, plus introduced the good ol’ country Sunday roast meals, as well as coffee and a selection of desserts.
5. Given the place an overall facelift, changing the facade of the bar, and we still have more exciting changes yet to come and be unveiled.
6. We have tried our best to implement a more relaxed, family friendly feel and still have more ideas and plans yet to come.
6. A greater presence in the local community, both personally and professionally, as well as the wider community as advocators of not just the pub, but Coramba itself and the Orara Valley in general.
7. Designed our own new logo.
8. Created a strong social media presence with a large (and still increasing) following.
9. Advertising on WIN TV and TripleM radio stations.
Have you got any specials and promotions running throughout the festive season?
We have entertainment, with Slipstream playing live on New Year’s Eve, with the pub open ‘til 1am. We close our bar for 20 minutes only from 11:50pm to 12:10am, so that our staff can also have a drink and join in the countdown to see in the New Year.
Coramba Pub has traditionally run an annual woodchop event each January. This was previously organised, facilitated and run by a prior employee, who has since retired. Through her help and guidance, we are resurrecting and continuing this tradition.
The woodchop event for 2019 is being run on the 6th January 2019, and we are in need of sponsors. If anyone would like to support the day, with advertising at the pub, all they need to do is contact either of us on 6654 4216. There is no minimum or maximum amount – just whatever amount people are comfortable donating to sponsor each woodchop event.
We have a massive Australia Day long weekend planned too, with The Smileys conducting Australia themed games for adults and kids, face painting, sausage sizzle, meat raffles, bands – with “Ian Henry” playing live on Saturday – and on Sunday we have “Who’s Charlie” playing live, PLUS a massive flea market/car boot sale at the pub, AND the Coramba street markets are also on that day.
Anyone can join in the flea market/car boot sale for the cost of $10 (fundraising for 2020 Coramba Pub Woodchop Event) but bookings are essential. To book, just phone Sandy or Brett on 6654 4216.
What is your greatest achievement?
Overall on a personal level, I think would be finding a loving partner who supports you and shares the same dreams and goals.
And overall on a professional level, it would have to be that we both absolutely love what we do and we do it with such passion and enthusiasm, that we have been lucky to have it reflect in the success of all of our business ventures to date.
But in the last 12 months, it would have to be the support of the community, our customers and our staff. We have had lots of great compliments about how much nicer and more pleasant the pub is now and that it is more like older times, when the pub was really jumping.
We also recently received some humbling but great feedback from our customers who obviously like what we are doing, as we were voted not once but twice in TripleM Coffs Harbour November’s vote for Coffs Coast Best by their station listeners. We won “2018 Best Pub on Coffs Coast” as well as “2018 Best Parmy on Coffs Coast” and want to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who supported and voted for us.